It’s been a while since I have posted, sorry for the silence! I have so much to tell you that I’m not really very sure where to start.
The past six weeks or so have seen some changes in our lives, changes that are as a direct result of the O.T.’s visit and the C.P.’s help.
The biggest change is that we now have a stairlift in the house. I honestly wasn’t sure how I felt about this to begin with, the thought made me feel like I had aged 60 years. That all changed the minute I sat on it for the demonstration!
This is by far and away the best thing that has happened to us in terms of physical support. I can’t believe how easy it is for me to get up and down the stairs now (relatively speaking of course). It has given me more freedom, it means I don’t have to live my life in one room, I can get downstairs if I feel up to it and that is just amazing.
From hubby’s point of view it has saved his back as he was frequently carrying me up and down the stairs. I have to say it was quite comical but we were both just waiting for the day we went head first down the stairs!
Other additions to the house include
- a perch stool in the kitchen so that if and when I feel up to doing something in there I have something to sit/lean on.
- a pickerupper thing…I don’t know what it’s called but it’s pretty handy.
- a leg sling to help me get my legs out of bed in the morning.
- a toilet frame which has added height to the toilet as well as grab rails to help me get up.
- a stool for the shower so I can actually shower again! I burst into tears the first time I used it!
They are all fairly simple things but wow they make a difference! Yes, I still need help but I’m starting to feel a bit more independent….and therefore a bit happier too.
To be honest I can’t quite believe that we struggled on without these things for so long but it never once occurred to us that we could be getting some help in this way. If it wasn’t for the C.P. we’d still be struggling along.
I’m not saying life is easy now, it’s definitely not but wow it has made things that bit more manageable!